Sunday, March 14, 2010

Selamat Pagi Jakarta!

It's funny how life works. Just when I was getting comfortable living in NZ, coming to accept how some things work there even though they still bug the hell out of me, we have to move.

It's definitely different here in Jakarta. It's 5am in the morning (I'm jet lagging and have been awake since 3.30am. My husband is of course happily snoring away. He can sleep anytime at anywhere. I envy that.) I look out of the window and all I see is this gray smog blanketing the entire city. I never knew how blue the skies are until NZ. When you take photos of the skies in NZ, it's like someone has already gone and photoshopped the photos because the colours are so intense. Here, everything looks washed out, the colours are slightly off kilter.

You know you're back in Asia when there are people to do everything for you. Step off the airplane, someone picks you up, someone else picks up your bag, escorts you to your car, loads the bags and then chauffeurs you to the hotel, checks you in. All without you lifting a pinkie. Some people might find it awesome but it makes me a little uncomfortable. It's almost as if we've stepped back in time and slavery was still acceptable.

So it's house hunting day today. I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait to see what JKT has to offer!

1 comment:

Darren said...

Its gonna be alot cheaper to feast there compared to NZ, satay senayan, nasi campur, even nasi ganja at your whim and fancy, for a fraction of kiwi restaurant prices, eat to your heart's content.. *burp* (lingering satay smell)