Well to be exact, it's been 5 and a half months since we moved here to Indonesia. The initial couple of months were tough going because of the hassle of moving, of setting up house, adjusting to a new country and a new way of life. However, lately I'm maybe beginning to enjoy living here. I've made some friends and have also learnt to cope better with having so much time on my hands. Over the last few months, I've been doing things that I never had time for. I've been spending time with Cooper (trying to make up for neglecting him over the last 2 years and leaving him at random boarding kennels every couple of months), cooking (been doing lots of this), baking (not so much of this since I realised that I'm not cut out to be a baker), reading (whenever I can get my hands on an English novel), learning a new language (which is really satisfying when I realise that I can hold my end of the conversation with a local), learning to paint (let's just say I'm no Picasso) and going for long lunches with my girlfriends. Just the other day, I caught myself thinking - I could get used to not working!
So it's been pretty alright thus far, despite the fact that there are still blackouts every other week, despite bad traffic where a 10-minute journey can turn into a torturous hour-long car ride, despite getting constantly ripped off, despite the loneliness. On some days, it still can be challenging living here in a foreign place, with hardly any friends and no family around. These are days when I just feel like packing up and going home but days like these are fewer and further in between now.
Like I said, I might actually like it here in Indonesia.
No comments:
Post a Comment